One of the evolving issues in law enforcement is how agencies should respond to individuals who are mentally ill. The Memphis Tennessee police department has developed a model of reaction that is being utilized by numerous law enforcement agencies across the nation.
Read the article titled “Memphis Model” located here. You may also view the article here. You may also use the Internet or Strayer Library in addition to the Memphis Model article to research other articles on the model developed by the Memphis police department.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the model and its major tenants. Next, specify the model’s main effects in terms of the basic components of crime prevention.
- Take a position on whether or not the Memphis Model is the appropriate law enforcement response to mentally ill individuals encountered by law enforcement officers responding to calls. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Suggest at least two (2) changes for the Memphis Model if you were a law enforcement administrator charged with its implementation in your jurisdiction. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources as references, such as journal articles, newspapers, magazines, and publications from law enforcement associations. Note:Wikipedia, blogs, and similar websites do not qualify as quality academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different from other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.