Managed care is a frequently discussed and debated topic among mental health professionals. Managed care organizations encourage short-term, brief therapy and mandate the use of evidence-based practices. Using the Argosy University online library resources, locate one peer-reviewed journal article that describes the use of brief or solution-focused therapy with a client or population of interest to you. Post your article as an attachment in the Discussion Area.
In a minimum of 200 words, post to the Discussion Area your response to the following:
- Summarize the article you selected by describing:
- The purpose of the article
- The client/population mentioned in the article
- How brief or solution-focused therapy was used with the client/population
- What other theories could apply with the client/population
- The outcomes/results of the use of brief or solution-focused therapy
- Looking through the lens of managed care, describe how counselors, clients, and managed care organizations benefit from brief or solution-focused therapy.
- Looking through the same lens, provide an argument to managed care organizations that describe the disadvantages associated with the use of brief or solution-focused therapy.
- Further explain what you perceive to be the main advantages and disadvantages of managed care. Be sure to elaborate rather than regurgitate the material covered in the module and assigned readings.
- Explain how the learning from this module will contribute to your professional growth as a new counselor-in-training.
- Your discussion should clearly reflect your thoughtful and logical analysis of the information.
Support your rationale and analysis by using at least two resources from professional literature in your response. Professional literature may include peer-reviewed journal articles you can access through the Argosy University online library; relevant textbooks; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (websites ending in .edu or .gov).