Technological Advancements & Modern Conveniences
Technology is an integral part of your modern life. From the computers you use at home and/or work, the vacuum cleaner that keeps your floors clean, and to the filters used to provide clean air in your home; you rely on scientific advancements for your health, entertainment, convenience, and comfort. While many modern inventions make your life better, some may have serious negative consequences as well. In this week’s Discussion you will explore the pros and cons of modern conveniences.
During the week address the following questions:
- Take a look at the various technologies that are in your family or living room. What “common” items are present now that the typical family could not possibly have had 100 years ago?
Note: While you are limited in the variety of technology that you have in your homes, please try to answer differently than your classmates. You might answer with a technology that you do not have, but wish to have, or currently use in another place or room.
- Have these technological advancements improved your quality of life? Explain.
- In what ways does technology negatively impact your life?
- People often talk about the modern conveniences provided by technology, but they rarely discuss the long-term effects that these technologies might have on the world. Beyond the individual, explain how technological advancements impact the planet — for the good or bad?
- Propose a solution to the problems that technology may have caused to the environment and support your answer with a credible source(s) in APA format.
Be sure to review the Discussion Board Grading Rubric provided in the Course Syllabus.
For help with citations, refer to the APA Quick Reference Guide.
Use this reference when referring to your text:
Trefil, J., & Hazen, R.M. (2013). The sciences: An integrated approach. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.