Planetary health is a relatively new term used to describe “the achievement of the highest attainable standard of health, wellbeing, and equity worldwide through judicious attention to the human systems—political, economic, and social—that shape the future of humanity and the Earth’s natural systems that define the safe environmental limits within which humanity can flourish” (Whitmee et al, 2015). It captures, and expands upon, many of the ideas and issues we have discussed regarding environmental health, climate change, and food and water security. Additional documents on planetary health can be found here: https://www.rockefellerfoundation.org/our-work/ini…
For Analytic Paper 1, you will propose a global governance structure by which planetary health can be achieved. The purpose of this assignment is for you to think about the various components and factors included in the term “planetary health” and the various social, political, and economic systems which have influence or jurisdiction over them and then to propose a global system to work toward planetary health.
For this paper you should include the following
- A succinct but comprehensive description of planetary health (~2-3 pages)
- Including its constituent parts and systems
- Propose a global governance structure to achieve planetary health (~2-3 pages), including but not limited to:
- Stakeholders to be include (e.g., governments, UN system agencies, supra-governmental organizations [World Bank, WTO, IMF], foundations [Rockefeller, Gates], the private sector, civil society, individuals);
- Potential role of participants;
- Systems and processes (including convening organization(s), decision-making structures and processes, financing).
- Name, course number, and assignment name in the header of the document;
- 5 double spaced pages maximum, 12-point Times New Roman font, one inch margins;
- Save files using the following format: LastnameFirstinitial_AP1 (i.e., YangJ_AP1)
- Only electronic copies will be accepted through the course Titanium page.
- Any violation of above directions may result in loss of points on the paper. Late assignments will have 2% of total possible points deducted every hour they are late.