In this assignment, you consider the effects of DDT usage in Ethiopia and how risk assessment could be applied to mitigate specific environmental threats.
Resources: Ch. 18 of Environmental Science, “Precautionary Principle” article in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings,“DDT- A Cost/Benefit Analysis” video, and the Sample PowerPoint® Presentation
Read the “Precautionary Principle” article in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
Watch the “DDT- A Cost/Benefit Analysis” video.
Create a 5-slide PowerPoint® presentation with detailed speaker notes, based on the following scenario:
You are a Vice President of a company that wants to start a business in Ethiopia by marketing and selling DDT, an insecticide that has been controversial in the U.S. As a senior official of the company, you are doing a presentation to Ethiopian lawmakers about your product because they are still concerned about the potential environmental hazards of DDT to humans and wildlife. Your presentation may be pivotal as to how the lawmakers will vote on the fate of DDT use in the country.
Respond to each bulleted item using one reputable source in addition to your textbook:
Slide 1: The Risks of DDT Use
- Explain the known risks associated with DDT use. Include responses to the following:
- If DDT is sprayed on land to control insects, how does it get into the bodies of aquatic species?
- How does high concentration of DDT cause reproductive failure in birds at the top of the food chain?
- How does high concentration of DDT affect population growth, fertility rates, and so on?
Slide 2: The Precautionary Principle & Risks Assessment In Decision Making
- Define in your own words the term precautionary principle covered in the “Precautionary Principle” article in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings and in additional optional research source(s). Explain how this principle can help the government in framing the decision of whether or not to use DDT. Explain how risk assessment can help the government in deciding how to manage this potential health threat.
Slide 3: C&B of DDT
- Identify the costs and benefits (C&B) of DDT use presented in the “DDT- A Cost/Benefit Analysis” video and in additional optional research source(s).
Slide 4: Assessing & Accepting the Risks
- Perform a risk assessment using a cost-benefit analysis to determine whether the Ethiopian government should allow the use of DDT in the country. Present your analysis, including the costs and benefits of DDT that were considered, and why the use of DDT is controversial in many parts of the world. Explain why the government should accept the risks, outlining the specific condition(s) under which risk can and cannot be accepted. Use cited evidence to support your position.
Slide 5: APA-formatted References Slide
- Include a final slide with reference entries for each source cited.
Format your presentation according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.